Table of Contents
Have you ever bitten into a perfectly baked chicken drumstick, where the outside is beautifully crisp and the inside is juicy and tender? If not, you’re in for a treat! If yes, then you know the magic we’re about to create in your kitchen.
Welcome to our culinary journey, where we’ll be exploring the art of creating the perfect Baked Chicken Drumsticks. This blog post is dedicated to all the chicken lovers out there who are always on the hunt for that next delicious and easy-to-make recipe.
We’ll be diving into a simple yet mouthwatering recipe that transforms humble chicken drumsticks into a gourmet delight. This dish is not only a crowd-pleaser, but it’s also a fantastic option for a weeknight dinner, a family gathering, or even a fancy dinner party.
Why this recipe
This Baked Chicken Drumsticks recipe is worth trying for several reasons. First, it’s incredibly simple to prepare, making it perfect for both novice cooks and seasoned chefs. Second, it requires just a few basic ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry. Lastly, and most importantly, the end result is absolutely delicious. The drumsticks are flavorful and satisfying, with a balance of savory, sweet, and a hint of spice that will leave you craving for more.
About Baked Chicken Drumsticks
Baked Chicken Drumsticks are a culinary delight. When prepared correctly, the skin becomes wonderfully crispy and slightly caramelized, providing a beautiful contrast to the juicy, tender meat inside. The drumsticks are marinated in a blend of spices that seep into the meat, infusing every bite with flavor. The result is a dish that is satisfyingly crunchy on the outside, moist, and flavorful on the inside.
Chicken drumsticks are not only delicious but also packed with health benefits. They are a great source of protein, which is essential for muscle growth and repair. The skin, when left on, provides a good amount of healthy fats.
Moreover, chicken is rich in essential vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin B6, which is important for a healthy nervous system, and selenium, which supports thyroid health. Baking the drumsticks, as opposed to frying, also reduces the amount of oil needed, making this a healthier option.
Tips and Tricks
- Marinating the chicken: Marinating the chicken in buttermilk not only tenderizes the meat but also helps the coating stick to the chicken better. The longer you marinate, the more flavorful the chicken will be.
- Turning the chicken: Turning the chicken halfway through baking ensures that it cooks evenly and gets crispy on all sides.
- Checking doneness: Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. It should reach 165°F (75°C) to ensure it’s fully cooked.
- Serving: These drumsticks are delicious on their own, but you can also serve them with a side of coleslaw, mashed potatoes, or your favorite dipping sauce.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons McCormick® Smokehouse Maple Seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup corn flakes, crushed
- Nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, hot sauce, 2 teaspoons of smokehouse maple seasoning, the onion powder, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
- Add the drumsticks to the marinade and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack on top.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the panko, crushed corn flakes, remaining tablespoon of smokehouse maple seasoning, remaining teaspoon of salt, and remaining ½ teaspoon of pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Add the drumsticks to the panko mixture and turn until well coated, pressing the breading into the chicken. Set the chicken on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 50 minutes, turning halfway, until golden brown and crispy and the internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C).
- Enjoy your delicious Baked Chicken Drumsticks!
One of the key ingredients that make these Baked Chicken Drumsticks stand out is the McCormick® Smokehouse Maple Seasoning. This seasoning is a unique blend of smoky, sweet, and slightly spicy flavors that adds a depth of flavor to the chicken. It's a versatile seasoning that can be used in a variety of dishes, but it truly shines when used with chicken, enhancing its natural flavor and adding a smoky-sweet touch that will leave your taste buds craving for more.
These Baked Chicken Drumsticks are a versatile dish that can be served in a variety of ways. For a casual family dinner, you might serve them straight from the oven on a large platter, allowing everyone to grab a drumstick and dig in. If you’re hosting a more formal event, you could arrange the drumsticks on individual plates, perhaps atop a bed of mashed potatoes or a side of coleslaw for a touch of elegance.
As for side dishes, these drumsticks pair well with a variety of options. You might consider a fresh green salad, roasted vegetables, or a creamy potato salad. For a southern twist, serve them with a side of cornbread or macaroni and cheese.
When it comes to wine, a medium-bodied red like a Pinot Noir would complement the smoky and slightly sweet flavors of the chicken. If you prefer white wine, a Chardonnay with its full-bodied, buttery notes would also pair well with the dish.