Table of Contents
Black Sesame Crème Brûlée: A delightful twist on the classic crème brûlée, this dessert combines the creamy goodness of a traditional custard with the bold and nutty flavor of black sesame. With its velvety texture and contrasting caramelized sugar crust, this dessert is a true indulgence for the senses.
Unique Twist with Black Sesame Paste: The addition of black sesame paste infuses this crème brûlée with a rich, toasty, and slightly nutty flavor that pairs beautifully with the creamy custard base.
Appreciating the Classic Crème Brûlée: The classic crème brûlée is a beloved dessert known for its smooth custard and crackling caramelized sugar topping. The incorporation of black sesame paste adds a unique and unexpected twist to this timeless favorite.
Occasions Suitable for this Dessert: The Black Sesame Crème Brûlée is a perfect dessert for special occasions, dinner parties, or when you want to impress your guests with a sophisticated and innovative twist on a classic dessert.
- Medium saucepan
- Mixing bowls
- Fine-mesh sieve
- Ramekins or oven-safe dishes
- Baking dish
- Kitchen torch
- Baking sheet
- Cooling rack
How to Serve the Black Sesame Crème Brûlée:
- Once the sugar has been caramelized and the black sesame crème brûlée has cooled slightly, it is ready to be served.
- Place the ramekins on dessert plates or a serving platter for an elegant presentation.
Accompaniments or Additional Garnishes:
- Serve the Black Sesame Crème Brûlée as is, or you can pair it with a few complementary accompaniments or additional garnishes:
- A dollop of whipped cream for added creaminess.
- Fresh berries or a fruit compote for a refreshing contrast.
- A sprig of mint or a dusting of powdered sugar for an extra touch of elegance.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Black Sesame Paste:
- 1/4 cup black sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Caramelized Sugar Topping:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Toasted black sesame seeds (optional)
Making the Custard Base:
- In a medium saucepan, heat the heavy cream and milk over medium heat until it reaches a gentle simmer. Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg yolks until well combined.
- Slowly pour the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring continuously, until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Strain the custard through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any lumps. Set aside.
Incorporating the Black Sesame Paste into the Custard:
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the black sesame seeds, powdered sugar, and softened butter. Mix well until a paste forms.
- Add the black sesame paste to the custard base and whisk until fully incorporated.
Filling and Baking the Crème Brûlée:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Place the ramekins in a baking dish.
- Pour the custard mixture evenly into the ramekins, filling them about three-fourths full.
- Create a water bath by pouring hot water into the baking dish, reaching halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Carefully transfer the baking dish to the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are set but the center is still slightly jiggly.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and carefully transfer the ramekins to a cooling rack.
Chilling and Setting the Crème Brûlée:
- Allow the crème brûlée to cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Cover the ramekins with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight, to allow the custard to set.
Caramelizing the Sugar and Garnishing: a. Sprinkling the Crème Brûlée with Sugar:
- Before serving, evenly sprinkle a thin layer of granulated sugar over the chilled custard surface of each ramekin.
- Gently tap the ramekins to distribute the sugar evenly.
Using a Kitchen Torch to Caramelize the Sugar:
- Using a kitchen torch, carefully and evenly heat the sugar until it melts and caramelizes, creating a golden-brown crust.
- Move the torch in a circular motion to ensure even caramelization.
- Be cautious not to hold the flame too close to avoid burning the sugar or custard.
Sprinkling Toasted Black Sesame Seeds on Top:
- Once the caramelized sugar has cooled and hardened, sprinkle toasted black sesame seeds over the top of each crème brûlée for added flavor and visual appeal.
Storage and Leftovers
How to Store the Crème Brûlée:
- Store any leftover Black Sesame Crème Brûlée in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container to maintain its freshness and prevent absorption of odors from the refrigerator.
Shelf Life and Best Way to Enjoy Leftovers:
- The Black Sesame Crème Brûlée is best enjoyed within 1-2 days of preparation for the optimal texture and flavor.
- To enjoy leftover crème brûlée, you can either consume it chilled or allow it to come to room temperature for a few minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Substitutes for Ingredients:
- For the custard base, you can use regular white sugar instead of the granulated sugar.
- If black sesame paste is not available, you can substitute it with black sesame powder or ground black sesame seeds. Adjust the quantity according to taste.
- Instead of a kitchen torch, you can caramelize the sugar under a broiler. Keep a close eye on it to prevent burning.
Tips for Achieving the Perfect Custard Texture and Caramelized Sugar Crust:
- When making the custard base, make sure to cook it gently over medium-low heat, stirring continuously, until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Avoid high heat to prevent curdling.
- Allow the custard to cool completely before refrigerating to ensure it sets properly.
- When caramelizing the sugar, keep a safe distance between the torch flame and the custard surface to prevent overheating or burning.
- To achieve an even caramelized sugar crust, move the torch in a circular motion while heating.
The Black Sesame Crème Brûlée is a delightful twist on the classic dessert, offering a unique flavor profile and visual appeal with the addition of black sesame paste. The creamy custard, infused with the essence of black sesame, pairs perfectly with the caramelized sugar crust. Enjoy this elegant and indulgent treat on special occasions or anytime you crave a sophisticated dessert experience.