Hello food lovers! It’s time to put a twist on your usual breakfast with these light and crispy zucchini fritters. They are perfect for making use of the garden’s bounty and are so versatile they can easily be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The best part? They’re incredibly easy to whip up and require just a few pantry staples.
The star of this dish is, of course, the humble zucchini. Fresh, vibrant, and packed with nutrients, zucchini is a versatile ingredient that blends seamlessly into a myriad of dishes. But today, we are putting it front and center in our fritters, allowing its subtle yet distinctive flavor to shine truly.
Now, let’s get down to the nitty-gritty of making these delightful morsels.
First, we grate our zucchini and give them a good sprinkling of salt. Why salt, you ask? Salt helps draw out the moisture from the zucchini, ensuring that our fritters come out beautifully crispy and not soggy.
While our zucchini is resting, we mix together flour, parmesan cheese, garlic, and a beaten egg. The parmesan gives a wonderful umami flavor and helps to bind our fritters together, while the garlic adds a subtle hit of flavor that pairs perfectly with the zucchini.
Once the zucchini has been drained, it’s added to our fritter batter and given a good stir to ensure everything is well combined. Then, it’s time to cook our fritters in a hot skillet until they’re golden brown and crispy.
The result? Perfectly crispy zucchini fritters, ready to be served warm with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of fresh herbs.
These fritters are not just delicious but are also a great way to sneak in some extra veggies into your diet. You can even add in other ingredients like grated carrot, corn, or diced bell pepper to mix things up a bit.
So, the next time you find yourself with a surplus of zucchinis or simply crave a breakfast that’s out of the ordinary, give these zucchini fritters a try. They’re a surefire way to kickstart your day with a hearty and nutritious meal. Happy cooking!
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt, for serving (optional)
- Fresh herbs for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the Zucchini: Grate the zucchini using a box grater or food processor. Place the grated zucchini in a colander and sprinkle it with the teaspoon of salt. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then squeeze out as much moisture as possible using a clean dishcloth or paper towels.
- Mix the Fritter Batter: In a large bowl, combine the drained zucchini, flour, Parmesan cheese, minced garlic, beaten egg, black pepper, and a pinch of salt. Stir until the mixture is well combined.
- Cook the Fritters: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Scoop tablespoons of the zucchini mixture into the pan, flattening each fritter with the back of the spoon. Cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Serve: Remove the fritters from the skillet and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt and garnish with fresh herbs if using.
- You can add other ingredients to the fritters such as grated carrot, corn, or diced bell pepper for additional flavor and color.
- If you want to make these fritters gluten-free, you can replace the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend.
- These fritters can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days and reheated in the oven or on the stovetop. They can also be frozen and reheated for a quick and easy meal.
That’s it, foodies! I hope you enjoy these zucchini fritters as much as I do. Stay tuned for more exciting recipes, tips, and food stories. Until next time, bon appétit!