A well-balanced lunch is key to maintaining energy levels, supporting overall health, and satisfying hunger. And what could be more appealing than a delectable grilled chicken wrap paired with low-fat yogurt? This recipe brings together lean protein from the chicken, the crunch and freshness of vegetables, and the creamy, probiotic-rich goodness of yogurt. The result is a delicious, nutritious meal that supports digestive health and keeps you satisfied throughout the afternoon.
One of the great things about wraps is their versatility. With the right type of wrap (such as gluten-free or whole grain), and by omitting or replacing certain ingredients, this recipe can be adjusted to suit various dietary needs or preferences. Dairy-free? Swap out the yogurt for a plant-based alternative. Not a fan of chicken? Try it with grilled tofu or tempeh instead.
Ideal for adults and kids alike, this grilled chicken wrap with yogurt makes for a great packed lunch. Easy to prepare and even easier to customize, this is a meal that truly keeps on giving. Let’s dive in and explore how you can make this healthy and tasty lunch a part of your regular meal rotation.
Tips And Tricks
Even the simplest of recipes can be enhanced with a few culinary secrets. In this section, we offer our top tips and tricks for making your Grilled Chicken Wrap and Low-Fat Yogurt absolutely perfect:
- Marinate Your Chicken: To infuse your chicken with even more flavor, try marinating it for at least 30 minutes before grilling. A simple marinade could be olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and herbs.
- Vegetable Selection: For the freshest, crispiest veggies, try sourcing locally-grown produce, or even better, grow your own! Remember, the more colorful your vegetables, the more diverse their nutrients.
- Wrap Assembly: When assembling your wrap, layer your ingredients evenly to ensure every bite is as delicious as the last. Start with a layer of sauce or dressing, then add your veggies, and finally top with your grilled chicken.
- Wrap Rolling: Rolling the perfect wrap can take a bit of practice. Fold in the sides of the wrap first, then roll from the bottom up, tucking the ingredients in as you go.
- Yogurt Selection: Not all yogurts are created equal. Look for low-fat yogurts with live and active cultures, which are good for your gut health. Avoid yogurts with a lot of added sugars.
For the Grilled Chicken Wrap:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 whole grain wraps
- 2 cups of lettuce, shredded or torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1-2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- Your favorite low-fat dressing or sauce (such as a light Caesar dressing, Greek yogurt-based ranch, or a simple olive oil and lemon vinaigrette)
For the Low-fat Yogurt:
- 2 cups of your preferred low-fat yogurt
- To begin, wash the chicken thoroughly under cold running water and pat dry using kitchen paper.
- Now it's time to infuse some flavor. If you prefer simplicity, season the chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. If you're in the mood for more complex flavors, consider marinating the chicken. A simple marinade might include ingredients like lemon juice, garlic, herbs, and a touch of honey, along with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours in the fridge for deeper flavor.
- While your chicken is marinating, preheat your grill or grill pan to medium heat. You want it hot enough to sear the chicken, locking in those delicious juices, but not so hot that it burns the outside before the inside is fully cooked.
- Once your grill is heated, place the chicken on the grill. For medium-sized chicken breasts, you'll want to grill them for about 6-7 minutes on each side. If your chicken breasts are larger, they might need a bit longer. Remember, the key to juicy chicken is not to overcook it.
- To ensure your chicken is cooked safely, the internal temperature should reach 165°F (74°C) when measured with a meat thermometer. If you don't have a thermometer, another way to check is by cutting into the thickest part of the chicken. The juices should run clear, and the meat should be white with no pink remaining.
- Once your chicken is grilled to perfection, remove it from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, resulting in moister, more flavorful chicken for your wrap. Now, you're ready to move on to preparing your vegetables.
Preparation of Vegetables
- Lettuce: Begin by thoroughly washing your lettuce leaves. Dirt often hides in the crevices, so it's important to clean them well. After washing, pat the leaves dry or use a salad spinner to remove excess water. Tear or cut the lettuce into bite-sized pieces. The aim here is to create pieces that are easy to bite into and distribute evenly throughout the wrap.
- Tomatoes: Rinse your tomatoes under cold water and pat them dry. Slice the tomatoes into thin, round pieces. Thinner slices stack better in a wrap and ensure a bit of tomato in every bite without overwhelming the other ingredients.
- Cucumber: Start by washing the cucumber thoroughly. For added texture, you can leave the peel on. Slice the cucumber lengthwise, then cut each half into thin half-moon shapes. These will add a refreshing crunch to your wrap.
Assembling the Wrap
- Laying the Foundation: Start by laying your whole grain wrap flat on a clean surface. If you're using a sauce or dressing, spread a thin layer over the surface of the wrap. This not only adds extra flavor, but it also helps hold the ingredients in place.
- Layering the Ingredients: Next, place your grilled chicken pieces in the center of the wrap, being careful not to overfill it. You want enough chicken to make the wrap satisfying, but not so much that you can't close it properly. On top of the chicken, layer your lettuce, tomato, and cucumber slices. Remember to distribute them evenly over the chicken so that each bite has a bit of everything.
- Rolling the Wrap: To roll your wrap, start by folding in the sides over the fillings. Then, starting from the edge closest to you, roll the wrap away from you, tucking in the fillings as you go. Try to keep the roll as tight as possible, which will help hold everything together.
- Sealing and Cutting: Once rolled, you might find it helpful to wrap the bottom half of the wrap in foil or parchment paper. This not only helps to hold the wrap together, but it also catches any drips while eating. When ready to eat, cut the wrap in half diagonally for a pleasing presentation and easier eating.
Serving the Grilled Chicken Wrap with Low-Fat Yogurt
- The Wrap: Once you've rolled your wrap (and possibly cut it in half for easier handling), place it on a clean, colorful plate. If you've cut your wrap, arrange the halves so that the cross-section is visible, showing off the layers of fresh veggies and grilled chicken inside. This can really make the meal look appealing and vibrant. If you've wrapped the bottom half of your wrap in foil or parchment paper, let this peek out a bit for a cafe-style presentation.
- The Yogurt: Your low-fat yogurt can be served in a small bowl or a tall glass on the side. To make your yogurt more appealing, consider topping it with a sprinkle of granola or nuts for extra texture, or a drizzle of honey for a touch of natural sweetness.
- The Finishing Touches: Add a sprig of fresh mint or a few fresh berries to the yogurt for a pop of color. And remember, the key is balance - a bit of color here and there can make the meal more visually appealing without distracting from the main attraction: your delicious Grilled Chicken Wrap.
A Grilled Chicken Wrap with fresh, crunchy veggies and a side of Low-Fat Yogurt provides a well-balanced, high-protein meal that can be easily customized to suit your tastes and dietary needs.
From grilling the perfect chicken breast to assembling a restaurant-worthy wrap, you now have all the tools you need to bring this recipe to life in your own kitchen. Don’t forget to have fun with it—try different veggies, sauces, or even fruits in your wrap. And when you do, be sure to share your creations with us. We love seeing how you make these recipes your own! Happy cooking!