Table of Contents
Welcome, health enthusiasts and soup lovers, to the delightful world of nutrient-packed soups! Our focus today is a delicious and nourishing concoction known as the Green Super Soup.
Green Super Soup is a vibrant blend of wholesome green vegetables and legumes packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It’s a perfect dish for those looking to incorporate more plant-based foods into their diet or simply enjoy a hearty, warming meal. The soup’s color mirrors its nutrient density – the greener, the better!
The star of our Green Super Soup recipe today is the unique blend of fresh herbs and green peas. Fresh herbs like cilantro and dill not only add an aromatic, flavorful punch to the soup, but they also come with their own set of health benefits. Cilantro is known for its antioxidant properties, while dill brings a unique freshness and is beneficial for digestion.
Incorporating green peas into this soup adds a wonderful sweetness, a pleasing texture, and a protein boost. Despite their small size, green peas are nutritional powerhouses, rich in fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. They contribute to the soup’s hearty nature, making it a satisfying meal that can stand on its own.
Our Green Super Soup recipe shines the spotlight on three key ingredients: fresh cilantro, dill, and green peas. These ingredients not only elevate the flavor of the soup but also significantly enhance its nutritional profile.
Cilantro, also known as coriander, is a fragrant herb widely used in various global cuisines. Its unique, citrusy flavor profile can transform a simple dish into something extraordinary. But cilantro is more than just a flavor enhancer. It’s a rich source of antioxidants, and research suggests it may have anti-inflammatory, anticancer, and neuroprotective effects. Plus, it’s an excellent source of Vitamin K, which supports bone health.
Dill is a feathery, aromatic herb that brings a refreshing tanginess to dishes. It pairs wonderfully with other flavors in the soup, creating a harmony of taste that will delight your palate. Beyond its flavor, dill offers several health benefits. It’s known for its antimicrobial properties and can aid digestion. Additionally, dill is a good source of vitamin C and manganese, both essential nutrients for overall health.
Green peas are a delicious and versatile legume that adds a subtle sweetness and a bit of texture to the Green Super Soup. These tiny powerhouses are packed with protein, helping to keep you satiated. They’re also rich in fiber, which supports digestive health. Plus, they offer an abundance of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C, and K, as well as several B vitamins.
In our Green Super Soup, these ingredients come together to create a dish that’s not only pleasing to the palate but also brimming with nutritional goodness. Let’s venture further into the world of healthy, flavorful soups!
For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup fresh dill leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Garnish:
- Fresh dill and cilantro leaves
- A drizzle of olive oil
- A sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Prepare the Ingredients: Wash and chop all vegetables. Mince the garlic, and pick the leaves from the cilantro and dill stems.
- Sauté the Vegetables: Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and zucchini. Sauté until the vegetables are softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the Broth and Peas: Add the green peas and vegetable broth to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Blend the Soup: Add the baby spinach, cilantro, and dill to the pot. Stir until the spinach is wilted. Remove the pot from the heat, and use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, let the soup cool slightly, then transfer it to a standard blender and puree in batches. Be sure to return the soup to the pot after blending.
- Season the Soup: Taste the soup and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve: Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish each bowl with fresh dill and cilantro leaves, a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes if desired.
Tips and Tricks
Enhancing the Soup’s Flavor: The key to a flavorful soup is layering the flavors. Start with a base of sautéed onions, garlic, and celery, which will provide a savory foundation. The addition of fresh herbs like cilantro and dill infuses the soup with aromatic and citrusy notes. Don’t forget to season your soup well. Adding the salt and pepper at the end allows you to adjust to your personal taste. Lastly, a final drizzle of olive oil before serving can add richness and depth.
Variations and Additional Ingredients: This Green Super Soup is versatile and can be adjusted based on your preferences or dietary needs. If you’re looking to add more protein, consider adding some cooked lentils or chickpeas. For an extra green boost, try adding other green vegetables like broccoli, kale, or Swiss chard. If you prefer a creamy soup, stir in some coconut milk or Greek yogurt for a luscious, creamy texture.
Our Green Super Soup is a hearty dish that can stand alone as a meal, but it also pairs wonderfully with a variety of foods and beverages.
Food Pairings: A slice of rustic whole-grain bread makes a great accompaniment to this soup, adding a satisfying crunch. For a complete meal, pair the soup with a grilled chicken salad or a sandwich with lean protein.
Beverage Pairings: When it comes to beverages, a crisp, dry white wine like a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio complements the soup’s fresh flavors. If you prefer non-alcoholic beverages, a glass of freshly squeezed lemonade or a hot herbal tea like peppermint or chamomile would go well with the soup.
Enjoy experimenting with these pairing suggestions and discover your perfect soup meal!