Table of Contents
A cookie that’s delicious and nutritious? Yes, it’s possible! Welcome to our recipe for Healthy Dark Chocolate Quinoa Cookies – a dessert that is set to become your new favorite snack.
These cookies strike the perfect balance between indulgence and health, making them a guilt-free treat that can be enjoyed at any time of the day. They are vegan, gluten-free, and lactose-free, catering to various dietary needs and preferences.
The primary ingredient, quinoa, is a superfood that’s packed with high-quality protein, fiber, and numerous vitamins and minerals. It’s also one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids. Adding quinoa to cookies not only enriches their nutrient profile but also gives them a unique texture and a slightly nutty flavor.
We’re also adding oats to this recipe for an additional fiber boost. Oats are a great source of important vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They are high in the soluble fiber beta-glucan, which has been linked to numerous health benefits, including reducing cholesterol and blood sugar levels, promoting healthy gut bacteria, and increasing feelings of fullness.
But let’s not forget about the dark chocolate, the heart, and soul of any chocolate cookie. Dark chocolate is not only delicious but also incredibly nutritious. It is loaded with antioxidants, and it may improve brain function, protect your skin from the sun, and many other benefits.
With all these wonderful ingredients combined, these cookies are a powerhouse of nutrients – they’re high in protein, fiber, and antioxidants, making them a wholesome snack or dessert option.
So, are you ready to take your cookie game to a new level? Let’s dive in and discover the simple steps to making these delectable Healthy Dark Chocolate Quinoa Cookies!
For the Cookie Dough:
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- 1 cup of oats
- 1/2 cup of almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup of maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
For the Dark Chocolate:
- 1/2 cup of vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
Cookie Dough Preparation:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, oats, almond flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the melted coconut oil, maple syrup or agave nectar, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until you have uniform dough. The dough should be sticky and hold together well.
Dark Chocolate Preparation:
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the vegan dark chocolate chips and coconut oil.
- Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring after each one, until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Be careful not to overheat as the chocolate can become grainy.
Baking and Presentation:
- Using a spoon or cookie scoop, drop the cookie dough onto the lined baking sheet.
- Flatten each cookie slightly with the back of a spoon or the palm of your hand, as they will not spread much during baking.
- Drizzle the melted dark chocolate over each cookie. You can also choose to mix the chocolate into the dough before scooping it onto the baking sheet for a more chocolatey cookie.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are lightly golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. The cookies will firm up as they cool.
- Serve these Healthy Dark Chocolate Quinoa Cookies as a delicious and nutritious treat for any occasion. Enjoy!
Storage and Serving Suggestions
After the cookies have completely cooled, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. If you want to keep them fresh for longer, you can freeze them. To freeze, place the cookies in a freezer-friendly container or zip-top bag and freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy them, just thaw at room temperature.
These Healthy Dark Chocolate Quinoa Cookies make for a great snack or dessert. Pair them with a glass of plant-based milk for a classic treat, or enjoy them as an on-the-go breakfast option. You can even crumble them over your favorite vegan ice cream for a fun and healthy dessert topping!
Q1: Can I substitute the almond flour with another type of flour?
A: Yes, you can substitute almond flour with other gluten-free flours such as oat flour or coconut flour. However, this might slightly change the texture and flavor of the cookies.
Q2: Can I use honey instead of maple syrup or agave nectar?
A: Absolutely, you can replace the maple syrup or agave nectar with an equal amount of honey. Just bear in mind that the recipe will no longer be vegan if you use honey.
Q3: What if I don’t have quinoa, can I use more oats instead?
A: While quinoa adds a unique texture and nutritional boost to these cookies, you could replace it with more oats. The result will be more of an oatmeal cookie, still delicious but without the added protein from the quinoa.
These Healthy Dark Chocolate Quinoa Cookies are a delightful fusion of health and indulgence, a testament to the fact that eating well does not require sacrifice. Bursting with nutrient-dense ingredients, these cookies are a guilt-free treat you can enjoy at any time of the day. Whip up a batch and discover the joy of healthful, delicious eating.
Enjoy baking and savoring every bite of these wholesome cookies!