Table of Contents
Before you start cooking, setting up your workspace and ensuring you have everything you need is important. This will make the cooking process smoother and more enjoyable. Here’s how to prepare for making the Pancake Breakfast Sandwich:
Step 1: Gather All Ingredients
Start by gathering all the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe. This includes maple syrup, pancake mix, canola or vegetable oil, milk or water, eggs, nonstick cooking spray, sausage patties, filtered water, kosher salt, and American cheese. Having everything at hand will save you time and effort once you start cooking.
Step 2: Preheat the Oven
Next, preheat your oven to 250°F (120°C). Preheating the oven is a crucial step in many recipes, including this one. It ensures that your food will start cooking as soon as you put it in the oven, leading to more accurate cooking times and better results.
Step 3: Prepare Your Baking Sheet
Finally, line a baking sheet with a nonstick mat or parchment paper. This will prevent your food from sticking to the baking sheet, making it easier to remove and clean up afterwards. If you don’t have a nonstick mat, parchment paper works just as well.
Now that you’ve completed these preparation steps, you’re ready to start cooking your Pancake Breakfast Sandwich. Enjoy the process!
- ⅓ cup grade A maple syrup
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons pancake mix
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- ¾ cup milk of choice or water
- 5 large eggs
- Nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 4 3-ounce round sausage patties (3½ inches wide and ¼-inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon filtered water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 slices of American cheese
- Line a baking sheet with a nonstick mat or parchment paper.
- In a small pan over medium heat, cook the maple syrup for 6–8 minutes, until it reaches 265°F (130°C). It will start to bubble and foam, then subside and reduce and will feel somewhat tacky with a faint burnt sugar smell. Immediately pour the reduced syrup onto the prepared baking sheet and tilt to spread into a thin layer, then let cool for 10 minutes.
- Firmly tap the baking sheet against the counter to crack the maple candy, then use your fingers to break into small shards.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F (120°C).
- Make the pancake batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together the pancake mix, canola oil, milk, and 1 egg until mostly smooth (some small lumps are okay).
- Arrange 2–4 3½-inch ring molds in a large nonstick ovenproof skillet and liberally grease with nonstick spray. Turn the heat to medium. Add 1½-2 tablespoons of pancake batter to each mold, sprinkle with about 1 teaspoon of the maple shards, and top with another 1½ tablespoons of pancake batter. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 4 minutes, or until the bottom of the pancake is set and golden brown and bubbles appear on the surface. Flip the pancakes and cook for 2 minutes more on the other side. Lift off the ring molds and remove the pancakes from the pan, then repeat with the remaining batter to make 8 pancakes total. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you prepare the sausage.
- Wipe out the skillet used to cook the pancakes and add the sausage patties. Cook for 3–4 minutes on each side, until the internal temperature reaches 145°F (65°C). Transfer the sausage to the baking sheet with the pancakes and keep warm while you prepare the eggs.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 4 eggs, water, and salt.
- Wipe out the skillet used to cook the sausage and grease again with nonstick spray. Turn the heat to medium and heat the pan for 2 minutes, then pour in the eggs. Cook until just set on the bottom and around the edges, about 2 minutes. Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for 3–4 minutes, until set on top.
- Remove the eggs from the oven and, using a rubber spatula, gently fold into a 3-inch wide omelet. Remove from the pan and cut crosswise into 4 equal pieces.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Add 4 pancakes to the pan over medium heat and top each with a slice of American cheese, a sausage patty, a piece of egg, and another pancake. Cover the pan and heat over medium heat until warmed through, 2–3 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
You can find the original recipe here.
Maple Syrup Preparation
The maple syrup in this recipe adds a sweet and savory touch to your Pancake Breakfast Sandwich. Here’s how to prepare it:
Step 1: Cook the Maple Syrup
Place your maple syrup in a small pan and heat it over medium heat. Keep an eye on the syrup as it heats up. You’ll want to cook it until it reaches 265°F (130°C). This process will concentrate the flavors and give your syrup a thicker consistency, perfect for your breakfast sandwich.
Step 2: Pour and Cool the Syrup
Once your syrup has reached the desired temperature, immediately pour it onto your prepared baking sheet. Tilt the sheet to spread the syrup into a thin layer. This will help it cool down faster. Let the syrup cool for about 10 minutes. It will harden as it cools, transforming into a delicious maple candy.
Step 3: Break the Syrup into Shards
After the syrup has cooled and hardened, it’s time to break it into shards. Firmly tap the baking sheet against the counter to crack the maple candy. Then, use your fingers to break it into small pieces. These shards of maple candy will add a sweet crunch to your Pancake Breakfast Sandwich.
Now that your maple syrup is prepared, you’re ready to move on to the next steps of the recipe. Enjoy the sweet aroma of the maple syrup as you continue cooking!
The pancakes in this recipe serve as the “bread” of your breakfast sandwich. Here’s how to prepare them:
Step 1: Mix the Pancake Batter
In a medium bowl, combine the pancake mix, canola oil, milk, and 1 egg. Whisk these ingredients together until they’re mostly smooth. It’s okay if there are a few small lumps – they’ll cook out when you make the pancakes.
Step 2: Cook the Pancakes
Next, arrange 2–4 3½-inch ring molds in a large nonstick ovenproof skillet and liberally grease them with nonstick spray. Turn the heat to medium. Add 1½-2 tablespoons of pancake batter to each mold. These molds will help your pancakes keep their shape, making them perfect for sandwich assembly later.
Step 3: Add the Maple Shards
Before you flip the pancakes, sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of the maple shards onto the pancake batter. This will embed the sweet, crunchy maple candy into your pancakes, adding a delightful surprise to each bite.
Step 4: Keep the Pancakes Warm
After you’ve cooked your pancakes, transfer them to a baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven. This will ensure that your pancakes are ready to go when it’s time to assemble your sandwiches.
With your pancakes prepared, you’re ready to move on to the next steps of the recipe. Enjoy the process!
The sausage patties add a savory and hearty element to your Pancake Breakfast Sandwich. Here’s how to prepare them:
Step 1: Cook the Sausage Patties
Wipe out the skillet you used to cook the pancakes and add the sausage patties. Cook them for about 3–4 minutes on each side until they reach an internal temperature of 145°F (65°C). This ensures that the sausage is fully cooked and safe to eat.
Step 2: Keep the Sausage Warm
After cooking, transfer the sausage patties to the baking sheet with the pancakes and keep them warm in the oven. This will ensure that all components of your sandwich are hot and ready to go when it’s time to assemble.
The eggs in this recipe add a protein-packed layer to your breakfast sandwich. Here’s how to prepare them:
Step 1: Whisk the Eggs
In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 4 eggs, water, and salt. This will ensure that your eggs are light and fluffy when cooked.
Step 2: Cook the Eggs
Wipe out the skillet you used to cook the sausage and grease it again with nonstick spray. Pour in the whisked eggs and cook them until they’re just set on the bottom and around the edges, about 2 minutes.
Step 3: Fold and Cut the Eggs
Once the eggs are cooked, use a rubber spatula to fold them into a 3-inch wide omelet gently. Remove the omelet from the pan and cut it crosswise into four equal pieces. These will be the egg layers in your breakfast sandwiches.
Now that your sausage and eggs are prepared, you’re ready to assemble your Pancake Breakfast Sandwiches. Enjoy the final steps!
Now that all your ingredients are prepared, it’s time to assemble your Pancake Breakfast Sandwiches. Here’s how:
Step 1: Layer the Ingredients
Start with a pancake at the bottom. Then, add a slice of American cheese on top of the pancake. Next, place a cooked sausage patty on top of the cheese. Add a piece of the cooked egg on top of the sausage. Finally, top it off with another pancake. Repeat this process for the remaining sandwiches.
Step 2: Warm the Sandwiches
Once your sandwiches are assembled, place them back in the pan over medium heat. Cover the pan and heat the sandwiches until they’re warmed through, about 2–3 minutes. This will help melt the cheese and ensure that every part of your sandwich is hot.
Now, it’s time to enjoy your Pancake Breakfast Sandwiches!
Step 1: Serve Hot
Serve your Pancake Breakfast Sandwiches hot. The warmth will enhance the flavors and make for a delicious, comforting breakfast.
Step 2: Enjoy Your Pancake Breakfast Sandwich!
Finally, the best step of all – enjoy your Pancake Breakfast Sandwich! Whether you’re enjoying it on a leisurely weekend morning or as a quick weekday breakfast, this sandwich is sure to delight.
And there you have it, your guide to making the best Pancake Breakfast Sandwich. Enjoy your cooking journey!