Table of Contents
Zrazy is a traditional dish originating from Poland, but it has also found its way into the cuisines of other Eastern European countries, including Ukraine and Belarus. The word “Zrazy” comes from the Polish word for “slices”.
Traditionally, Zrazy was made from thinly sliced beef, rolled around a filling of vegetables, eggs, or mushrooms. However, variations of this dish have evolved over time, and one such variation is the Potato Zrazy with Mushrooms. This vegetarian-friendly version uses potato dough instead of meat, which is then filled with a savory mushroom filling.
The result is a hearty and delicious dish that can be enjoyed as a main course or a side dish.
For the Potato Zrazy:
- 1 kg of potatoes
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- Salt to taste
- Bread crumbs for coating
For the Mushroom Filling:
- 500 grams of fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
Preparation of Ingredients
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters.
- Place them in a large pot, cover with water, and add a pinch of salt.
- Boil the potatoes until they are soft and easily pierced with a fork.
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp cloth and slice them thinly.
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan, add the chopped onion and garlic, and sauté until they become translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the mushrooms are soft and all the liquid has evaporated.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them and let them cool slightly.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth, then add the egg, flour, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Take a portion of the potato mixture and flatten it in your hand. Place a spoonful of the mushroom filling in the center, then fold the potato mixture around the filling, forming a roll. Repeat this process until all the potato mixture and filling are used.
- Roll each Zrazy in bread crumbs to coat them evenly.
- While the potatoes are boiling, prepare the mushroom filling as described in the "Preparation of Ingredients" section.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked and the liquid has evaporated, remove the pan from the heat and let the filling cool before using it to fill the Zrazy.
- Once your potato dough and mushroom filling are prepared, take a portion of the potato mixture and flatten it in your hand.
- Place a spoonful of the mushroom filling in the center of the flattened potato.
- Fold the potato mixture around the filling, forming a roll. Make sure the filling is completely enclosed within the potato dough.
- Repeat this process until all the potato mixture and filling are used.
Cooking the Zrazy
- Heat a generous amount of oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the Zrazy, making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry the Zrazy until they are golden brown on all sides, turning them occasionally to ensure even cooking. This should take about 5-7 minutes per side.
- To check if the Zrazy is fully cooked, you can cut it into one with a knife. The potato should be soft all the way through, and the filling should be hot.
Potato Zrazy with Mushrooms can be served hot, straight from the pan. They are delicious on their own, but you can also serve them with a dollop of sour cream or a drizzle of melted butter. For a complete meal, pair the Zrazy with a fresh salad or steamed vegetables. A glass of dry white wine would also complement the flavors of this dish beautifully. Enjoy your cooking journey!