Table of Contents
Shrimp and vegetable stir fry is a delightful and versatile dish that combines succulent shrimp with a medley of colorful vegetables, all cooked to perfection in a sizzling wok or pan. This dish is well-known for its vibrant flavors, tender-crisp vegetables, and the juicy texture of the shrimp. It’s a fantastic way to enjoy a nutritious meal that is both satisfying and packed with flavor.
The art of stir frying dates back to ancient China and has evolved over the centuries into a popular cooking method worldwide. Initially, stir frying was developed as a way to conserve fuel by cooking food quickly over high heat. As trade routes expanded, new ingredients and flavors were integrated into stir fry recipes.
Today, stir fry dishes are a staple in many Asian cuisines, and their popularity has spread globally. From traditional Chinese wok cooking to modern adaptations, stir frying continues to be a beloved technique for its efficiency and the delectable results it produces.
Shrimp is a lean source of protein and contains essential nutrients such as vitamin B12, iodine, and selenium. It is also a source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are known for their heart-health benefits. Vegetables, on the other hand, are a treasure trove of vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber, which are vital for overall health. Including a variety of vegetables in the stir fry ensures that you get a broad spectrum of nutrients.
Jasmine rice, with its fragrant aroma and fluffy texture, complements the dish by providing carbohydrates for energy. Combining shrimp, vegetables, and jasmine rice creates a balanced meal that is not only delicious but also nutritionally rich.
List of kitchen equipment and tools required for making shrimp and vegetable stir fry and cooking jasmine rice:
- Wok or large frying pan
- Pot with lid for cooking rice
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Knife and cutting board
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Strainer or colander for rinsing rice
- Serving plates
Recommendations on the types of shrimp to use:
- Opt for fresh, large-sized shrimp, as they tend to be juicier and have a better texture. However, if fresh shrimp is not available, frozen shrimp can be used; just make sure to thaw them properly before cooking.
- It is also recommended to use shrimp that has been peeled and deveined for convenience.
Suggestions for vegetable combinations in the stir fry:
- Classic vegetables for a stir fry include bell peppers, carrots, snap peas, and broccoli. However, you can also add mushrooms, baby corn, zucchini, or bok choy for variety.
- Using colorful vegetables not only makes the dish visually appealing but also adds different flavors and nutrients.
Tips for achieving perfect, fluffy jasmine rice:
- Rinse the rice thoroughly under cold water until the water runs clear. This removes excess starch and prevents the rice from becoming too sticky.
- Use a 1:1.5 ratio of rice to water for cooking jasmine rice.
- Once the rice is cooked, let it sit covered for 5-10 minutes before fluffing with a fork. This allows the rice to steam and become more fluffy.
Ideas for alternative sauces or seasonings:
- For a different flavor profile, you can use teriyaki sauce instead of the usual soy sauce-based stir fry sauce.
- Adding a splash of rice vinegar or lemon juice can give the dish a tangy flavor.
- For a spicy kick, try adding sriracha or chili garlic sauce.
List of ingredients needed for shrimp and vegetable stir fry:
- Shrimp (peeled and deveined) - 400 grams
- Mixed vegetables (carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, snap peas) - 4 cups
- Garlic (minced) - 2 cloves
- Ginger (grated) - 1 tablespoon
- Soy sauce - 3 tablespoons
- Oyster sauce - 1 tablespoon
- Sesame oil - 2 tablespoons
- Cornstarch - 1 tablespoon
- Water - 2 tablespoons
- Green onions (sliced) - for garnish
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper - to taste
List of ingredients needed for jasmine rice:
- Jasmine rice - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Optional ingredients for added flavor or nutrition:
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 teaspoon (for some heat)
- Honey - 1 tablespoon (for sweetness)
- Fresh basil or cilantro (chopped) - for garnish
- Lime wedges - for serving
Step-by-step guide on how to prepare the shrimp for stir fry:
- Start by peeling and deveining the shrimp.
- Rinse the shrimp under cold water and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- In a bowl, mix the shrimp with a tablespoon of soy sauce and let them marinate for about 10-15 minutes.
Instructions for preparing and cooking the vegetables:
- Wash all the vegetables thoroughly.
- Cut the carrots and bell peppers into thin strips, chop the broccoli into small florets, and trim the snap peas.
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat a tablespoon of sesame oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the mixed vegetables and cook for 5-7 minutes, until they are tender-crisp.
Tips on how to make a flavorful stir fry sauce:
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining soy sauce, oyster sauce, cornstarch, and water to create the sauce.
- Optionally, you can add red pepper flakes for heat or honey for sweetness.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add the shrimp and stir fry sauce to the wok. Cook for another 3-5 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.
Step-by-step guide on how to cook jasmine rice:
- Rinse the jasmine rice under cold water until the water runs clear.
- In a pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the jasmine rice and salt, reduce the heat to low, and cover the pot with a lid.
- Let the rice simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the rice is cooked through and the water is absorbed.
- Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
Combining and serving the dish:
- Place a serving of jasmine rice on a plate.
- Spoon the shrimp and vegetable stir fry over the rice.
- Garnish with green onions and optionally fresh basil or cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges on the side for added zest.
- You can also add a side of steamed dumplings or spring rolls for a complete meal.
- Calories: Approximately 1000 kcal
- Protein: Approximately 60g
- Carbohydrates: Approximately 130g
- Fats: Approximately 20g
- Fiber: Approximately 8g
- Vitamins and minerals: This dish is rich in vitamin C from the vegetables, vitamin B12 and zinc from the shrimp, and various other nutrients from the jasmine rice.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: Can I use frozen vegetables for the stir fry?
A: Yes, you can use frozen vegetables. They are convenient and still contain a lot of nutrients. However, fresh vegetables might give you a crisper texture.
- Q: What can I substitute for shrimp if I am allergic to shellfish?
A: You can use chicken, beef, or tofu as a substitute for shrimp.
- Q: Can I use other types of rice instead of jasmine rice?
A: Yes, you can use any type of rice that you prefer. Basmati rice or brown rice are good alternatives.
- Q: How can I store leftovers?
A: Store the stir fry and rice in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This shrimp and vegetable stir fry with jasmine rice recipe is a delicious and nutritious dinner option. With succulent shrimp, a medley of colorful vegetables, and fragrant jasmine rice, it’s a dish that’s as pleasing to the eye as it is to the palate. The stir fry sauce adds an explosion of flavors, making it a satisfying meal.
Treat yourself and your loved ones to this delightful shrimp and vegetable stir fry with jasmine rice. It’s the perfect combination of taste and nutrition. Whether it’s a weeknight dinner or a special occasion, this dish is sure to impress. Enjoy the medley of flavors and the satisfaction of a home-cooked, wholesome meal.