Table of Contents
Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meatballs and Marinara Sauce is a delightful dish that combines the comfort of Italian cuisine with a healthy twist. This dish is a fantastic way to enjoy a hearty, satisfying meal while keeping your nutrition in check.
The spaghetti squash serves as a low-carb, gluten-free alternative to traditional pasta, while the turkey meatballs provide lean protein. Topped with a flavorful marinara sauce, this dish is as delicious as it is nutritious.
Health Benefits of the Ingredients
- Spaghetti Squash: This unique vegetable is a low-calorie, low-carb alternative to traditional pasta. It’s packed with vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin C, and dietary fiber, which supports digestive health.
- Turkey Meatballs: Turkey is a lean source of protein, which is essential for muscle growth and repair. It’s also rich in vitamins and minerals, including B vitamins, which support energy metabolism, and selenium, which supports immune health.
- Marinara Sauce: Made primarily from tomatoes, marinara sauce is high in vitamin C and other antioxidants. It also adds a rich, savory flavor to the dish.
To make the Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meatballs and Marinara Sauce, you will need the following equipment. Having the right tools on hand will ensure that the process goes smoothly and efficiently.
- Oven: For roasting the spaghetti squash and baking the turkey meatballs.
- Baking Sheet: To roast the spaghetti squash and bake the turkey meatballs.
- Parchment Paper or Aluminum Foil: To line the baking sheet for easy cleanup.
- Fork: To create the spaghetti-like strands from the roasted squash.
- Mixing Bowl: To mix the turkey meatball ingredients.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: To measure the ingredients accurately.
- Saucepan: To heat the marinara sauce.
- Stove: To heat the marinara sauce.
- Serving Dish: To serve the completed dish.
Now that you have all the equipment ready, you can start making the Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meatballs and Marinara Sauce.
Spaghetti Squash: 1 medium-sized spaghetti squash. This will be the base of your dish, serving as a healthy alternative to traditional pasta.
For the Turkey Meatballs
- Ground Turkey: 3 oz for each serving. This lean protein will be the main component of your meatballs.
- Breadcrumbs: A small amount to help bind the meatballs together. You can use regular or gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Egg: 1 egg to help bind the meatballs.
- Garlic: 1-2 cloves, minced, for flavor.
- Italian Seasoning: A sprinkle for flavor. You can use a pre-made mix or make your own with herbs like basil, oregano, and thyme.
- Salt and Pepper: To taste.
For the Marinara Sauce
- Marinara Sauce: 1/2 cup for each serving. You can use store-bought or homemade marinara sauce.
- Optional: Fresh Basil or Parsley: A few leaves for garnish and added flavor.
Preparing the Spaghetti Squash
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the cut sides of the squash.
- Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, cut-side-down.
- Bake the squash until fork-tender, about 1 hour.
- Let the spaghetti squash cool for 5 minutes, then use a fork to pull the strands of spaghetti squash and transfer to a medium bowl.
Preparing the Turkey Meatballs
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper.
- Mix the ingredients together until well combined.
- Shape the mixture into small meatballs, about 1 inch in diameter.
- Place the meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the meatballs are browned and cooked through about 15-20 minutes.
Preparing the Marinara Sauce
- In a saucepan, heat the marinara sauce over medium heat until it starts to simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and keep the sauce warm until ready to use.
Assembling the Dish
- Place a serving of spaghetti squash on a plate.
- Top with a few turkey meatballs.
- Pour the warm marinara sauce over the meatballs.
- Optional: Garnish with fresh basil or parsley for added flavor.
Your Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meatballs and Marinara Sauce is now ready to be enjoyed! This dish is not only delicious but also healthy, making it a great choice for a balanced meal. Enjoy!
How to Serve the Dish
Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meatballs and Marinara Sauce is a hearty dish that can be served as a main course. Here’s how to serve it:
- Plate a serving of the spaghetti squash first.
- Top with a few turkey meatballs.
- Pour a generous amount of marinara sauce over the meatballs.
- Optional: Garnish with fresh basil or parsley for added flavor and a pop of color.
- Serve hot.
What to Pair the Dish With
This dish is quite balanced and fulfilling on its own, but if you’d like to add more to your meal, here are a few suggestions:
- Salad: A simple green salad with a light vinaigrette can provide a refreshing contrast to the hearty spaghetti squash and meatballs.
- Bread: A slice of crusty bread or garlic bread can be great for scooping up any leftover marinara sauce.
- Wine: If you enjoy wine with your meal, a light red like Pinot Noir or a full-bodied white like Chardonnay could pair well with this dish.
Please note that the following nutritional information is approximate and may vary based on the ingredients and quantities used.
- Calories: Approximately 700 kcal per serving
- Protein: Approximately 25-30g
- Fat: Approximately 30-35g
- Carbohydrates: Approximately 60-65g
- Fiber: Approximately 10-15g
- Sugars: Approximately 10-15g
This Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meatballs and Marinara Sauce is a balanced meal that provides a good mix of protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats.
The spaghetti squash is a great source of fiber and the turkey provides lean protein. The marinara sauce adds a serving of vegetables and a burst of flavor. Enjoy this healthy and delicious meal!