Table of Contents
Indulge your senses with this delightful Vegan Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream made with creamy coconut milk. The unique combination of these star ingredients results in a dessert that’s not just incredibly delicious but also packed with health benefits.
This homemade ice cream recipe brings together the subtle sweetness of coconut milk and the earthy flavor of matcha green tea to create a creamy, refreshing, and satisfying treat. It’s the perfect dessert for those warm, sunny days or whenever you’re in need of a little pick-me-up.
The health benefits of matcha and coconut milk add an extra layer of goodness to this delectable dessert. Matcha, a finely ground green tea powder, is known for its high antioxidant content, particularly a class of antioxidants known as catechins, which are linked to heart health benefits, improved brain function, and potential cancer-fighting properties.
It also contains a unique type of caffeine known as theophylline, which releases into the body slowly, providing a more sustained energy boost without the jitters and crashes associated with coffee.
Coconut milk, on the other hand, is rich in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), a type of fat that your body can easily absorb and use for energy. It’s also a great source of several vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, folate, and iron. Plus, it’s lactose-free, making it a great choice for those who are lactose intolerant or choosing to follow a vegan diet.
The combination of matcha and coconut milk not only imparts an exceptional flavor to this ice cream but also makes it a healthier choice compared to conventional dairy ice creams.
- 2 cans (13.5 oz each) Full-Fat Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup Raw Cane Sugar (or adjust according to your taste)
- 2 tablespoons Matcha Green Tea Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch (optional, for thicker consistency)
- Mix the coconut milk and sugar: Pour the cans of coconut milk into a medium-sized saucepan. Add the raw cane sugar. Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Whisk in the matcha: In a small bowl, sift the matcha powder to get rid of any lumps. Take a small amount of the warmed coconut milk and add it to the bowl, whisking until the matcha powder is fully dissolved and you have a smooth paste. Add this paste back into the saucepan with the rest of the coconut milk, stirring well to incorporate.
- Add the vanilla extract and salt: Stir in the vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
- Thicken with cornstarch (Optional): If you prefer a thicker consistency for your ice cream, dissolve a tablespoon of cornstarch in a little cold water to make a slurry. Pour this into your saucepan, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Cool the mixture: Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, cover the saucepan and place it in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours, or overnight for best results.
- Churn the mixture: Once the mixture is thoroughly chilled, pour it into your ice cream maker. Churn according to the manufacturer's instructions, usually about 20-25 minutes, or until it reaches a soft serve consistency.
- Freeze: Transfer the churned ice cream to a lidded container. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours, or until firm, before serving.
Assembly and Presentation
- Serve the ice cream: Once the ice cream is fully frozen, remove it from the freezer. Let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes to soften slightly for easier scooping. Using an ice cream scoop, divide the ice cream into serving bowls or cones.
- Add toppings (Optional): For an extra touch of flavor and texture, consider adding some toppings. A sprinkle of additional matcha powder can intensify the green tea flavor. Toasted coconut flakes, chopped nuts, or fresh fruit like berries can add a delightful crunch. A drizzle of dark chocolate or vegan caramel sauce can provide a sweet contrast to the earthy matcha flavor.
- Garnish: Consider adding a sprig of fresh mint or a slice of lemon as a garnish for an elegant presentation. These elements can add a pop of color and a refreshing aroma that complements the ice cream.
- Serve immediately: Vegan ice cream tends to melt a bit faster than traditional dairy ice cream, so it’s best to serve immediately after scooping. Enjoy this delightful dessert on its own or as the perfect ending to a meal.
The assembly and presentation of this Vegan Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream with Coconut Milk make it as pleasing to the eye as it is to the palate. It’s a dessert that’s sure to impress both for its unique flavor and its beautiful presentation!
Storage and Serving Suggestions
- Storage: If you have leftovers, simply cover the ice cream container with a lid and store it in the freezer. It will keep well for up to two weeks. To prevent ice crystals from forming on the surface, place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the ice cream before putting the lid on.
- Serving: When you’re ready to serve the ice cream again, let it sit out at room temperature for a few minutes to soften slightly before scooping.
- Pairing: This Vegan Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream with Coconut Milk is a versatile dessert that pairs well with many dishes. Try serving it alongside vegan brownies or cookies for a delightful dessert pairing. It also goes well with fruits like mango, lychee, or berries for a more refreshing combination.
- Customizing: Feel free to get creative with your toppings. From fresh fruits and nuts to vegan chocolate chips and granola, the possibilities are endless. Experiment with different combinations to find your favorite.
Remember, homemade ice cream is best enjoyed fresh, but with these storage and serving suggestions, you can make the most of any leftovers. Enjoy this creamy, delicious, and healthy dessert whenever you need a sweet treat!
- Can I make this ice cream without an ice cream maker? Yes, you can. After the mixture is cooled in the refrigerator, you can pour it into a lidded container and place it directly in the freezer. Every 30 minutes, stir the mixture with a fork to break up any ice crystals until it’s creamy and frozen.
- Can I use a different type of milk instead of coconut milk? While coconut milk gives this ice cream a rich, creamy texture and a slight tropical flavor, you can use other plant-based milks. Almond milk, cashew milk, or oat milk would also work, but keep in mind that they may not be as creamy as the full-fat coconut milk.
- Is there a substitute for matcha green tea powder? If you’re not a fan of matcha or can’t find it, you can use other powdered teas such as hojicha (roasted green tea) or even a finely ground black tea. The flavor will be different, but still delicious.
Our Vegan Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream with Coconut Milk is a refreshing, flavorful dessert that’s not only delicious but also packed with health benefits from the matcha and coconut milk. It’s an indulgence you can feel good about.
Enjoy making this recipe, and don’t forget to share your creation with your friends and family. They are sure to be impressed by your homemade, plant-based ice cream skills! Happy cooking!